You're not alone.
Male hair loss can begin as early as 21 years of age. By the time they reach the age of 50, 85% of American men are affected. Male Pattern Baldness (MPB) has nothing to do with stress, chemicals or the food you eat. It also has nothing to do with over-exposure to the sun or over-shampooing or other abuses to your hair. Real MPB – responsible for over 90% of all male hair loss cases – is due to a genetically inherited inability for the scalp to properly break down DHT, a by-product of the hormone testosterone. Hair loss is progressive, and it won't stop or slow down on its own.
It pays to find out why your hair is thinning.
The earlier you take action when you notice your hair thinning, the better your chances will be to keep the hair you have. That's because some very important things happen during your initial consultation.
- You can rule out other causes. MPB (formally called androgenetic alopecia) causes almost all hair loss experienced by men. However, for the 1 in 10 men who go bald for a different reason, it's extremely important for them to find that out. Male Pattern Baldness is harmless, but other factors that cause men to lose their hair are not. Even if you're looking forward to the clean-shaven look, talk to a specialist about your hair loss to make sure it's not a sign of something more serious.
- You might be able to keep the hair you have. We're on your side, and we agree that it's usually better, cheaper, and easier to keep your natural hair. There are proven ways to slow down or reverse hair loss caused by androgenetic alopecia, and if you're a guy who's losing his hair, chances are good that one of those could get results for you.
- You can be proactive. The thing men want most when they tackle their hair loss is for everything to look totally normal. When you make a plan up front, it's a lot easier to make changes gradually so that you never show up at a party looking suddenly and dramatically different. Part of our service is to help you transition into, between, or even out of your hair restoration solution. We believe that your secret should be yours to keep or share.
Your hair falls out because it stops growing.
Yes, hair loss is about losing your hair. But male pattern baldness doesn't actually begin with strands of hair falling out. It's more about the growth process. Here's what you need to know.
You are born with all of your hair follicles intact. No new ones ever grow. So if you lose those, you're out of luck.
Hair falls out when it is growing, too, since new growth pushes out old growth. That's why it's normal to see about 100 strands a day coming loose.
Hair grows in 3 stages. There's the Anagen phase of active growth and cell multiplication. That's followed by a transitional phase called Catagen, during which growth stops. Then there's the Telogen resting phase. Once a hair reaches this last phase, it can't resume growing again.
The part of hair responsible for growth is called the Papilla. The capillaries in the scalp deliver nutrient-rich blood to the papilla, stimulating the cell division that creates the hair shaft.
DHT is a natural hormone that can cause hair loss in men and women. Androgenetic alopecia develops when the body starts to metabolize this hormone differently.
DHT causes hair loss by blocking the papilla and preventing it from getting the nutrition it needs to grow new hair. Without proper nutrition, the Anagen growing phase gets shorter and the Telogen resting phase gets longer.
Miniaturization is what happens when a hair shaft's Anagen phase gets shorter and shorter, and hairs get finer because they can't grow to maturity. This indicates that the hair follicle is shrinking, and without treatment, it is likely to eventually die.
Why does it happen?
Blame it on genetics. Male pattern baldness is hereditary, so it's often not a surprise when a man starts losing his hair, especially at the temples and crown. Even though androgenetic alopecia is the most common cause of hair loss, it's not safe to assume you have MPB without verifying with a specialist. Because
Medications, stress, hormones, and serious illnesses can cause hair loss, it's important to nail down the cause of your hair loss before getting started on a treatment plan.
Wait! This is the good news.
That sounds pretty dismal, right? Clearly a lot of men are losing a lot of hair. However, we have modern tools to combat DHT, prevent hair loss from progressing, and restore a totally natural hairline.
There are 3 ways to combat hair loss.
- Block or Reduce DHT
- Improve Nutrient Delivery to the Hair Follicles
- Restore Fullness with Restoration Systems
Your personal hair restoration plan will be designed around the potential of and your preferences related to these three opportunities. We can give you thickness, body, and style with realism that's never been possible before. Our small, private clinic is the perfect place to get answers to your questions and have your opinion be heard. We're in the business of finding answers for our clients, and that's exactly what we'll do for you.
Schedule your free consultation at Images International today to see what an independent hair restoration studio can do for you.